This page is intended to let you know what personal information I collect about you, why I collect it, what I will do with it, and how you can choose how I use it.
Privacy is very important and I take your privacy seriously. This policy will provide you with what information I’ll ask you for, and how I’ll use it.
Some other instances where cookies are collected (this helful info provided by Jetpack, which is a product used on this site to help keep the site safe from hackers and other helpful things!)
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year. (More on this below.)
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
For additional information please see the following for more information on what is collected by some of the services this site uses, like WordPress, JetPack, etc, to find out what information they collect and how they use it:
When leaving a comment on this website, you will be asked for the following:
- your name, which will be used to identify you within the discussion. Anyone who comments, or otherwise views the post, or comment, will see this
- your email address, which helps prevent spam as well as allowing you to use services like Gravatar to show a photo next to the comment. No one would see this other than myself, and perhaps those who help keep my site on the internet such as WordPress, GoDaddy, JetPack, Askimet, and/or other sites similar to this (or any I change to in the future.) Without them, I can’t keep the site live, so they may use information that is on my site to help me optimize that, but never to contact you.
- your website URL, which is an optional field.
This information will also be used by the spam filter I have installed, Akismet, to help stop my site from being flooded by spam, trolls, and spammers.
Per Akismet, they collect information about visitors who comment on Sites, like mine, that use their Akismet anti-spam service. The information they collect typically includes the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and Site URL (along with other information directly provided by the commenter such as their name, username, email address, and the comment itself).
The information submitted via comment may also be used by CommentLuv, a plug-in I use to help with spam and make commenting easier for blog visitors. Jetpack, another WordPress plugin, helps keep my site secure, as well, and may use your information to help with security. It will also be stored within my site’s database in order to keep your comment on display, should you decide to leave one. For the information that I have access to and control over, you have the right to request that I remove this information from my database and delete the comment; if you would like to make such a request, you must contact me.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue. (Note, I can delete the comment so it’s not viewable, but that doesn’t mean the metadata goes away.)
In addition, when visitors leave comments on the site the site the data collected includes the information in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection. (This is one way how these products like re: services like Jetpack and WordPress, etc. tell your real comment from fake accounts/spam.)
Mailing list & Email Communications
You may see my email sign up on my site—as a pop up, on the side bar and using the embedded Google Form(s). When you sign up to my mailing list, I ask you for a variety of information including but not limited to:
- your name, so I know what to call you
- your email address, so I know where to send the email
If you agree to receive email communications, your name and email address will be used to send you my email newsletter. I tend to send out a newsletter and/or email when I have a new book out, when I’m running a deal on a book I’ve already published, have excerpts or deleted scenes to share, cover reveals, publishing news, or if I’m involved in an ebook promotion, among other reasons. You can unsubscribe from my newsletter at any time by updating your profile, unsubscribing, or contacting me.
If you provide contact me via this website or a contact form on it, personal data may be captured. I will only keep the contact form info for business purposes, and hold on to it as long as I need it for that reason only. For example, if you, a reader, contacts me to discuss a book, then I’ll keep it so that I can continue our email chain conversation. If someone uses a form on the site, or the newsletter to send me spam messages, it gets deleted. If someone uses a contact form to tell me they don’t like my book(s), well I don’t read reviews (authors never should), so that would go in a “do not read ever” email folder with the entirety of it deleted on a periodic (at least once a year) basis. Bottom line is, I keep it only as needed and I do not, and will not ever, use the information submitted through them for marketing purposes unless that purpose is expressly stated such as a newsletter sign up form wherein you will have to opt-in to receiving same. See mailing list section, above).
A note about media. Through my blog and website, I don’t have it set where others can upload media. So, you won’t find that, or that option here. (It just slows down the site, in my experience.) However! If media is ever uploaded here, by someone other than me, please be aware that if you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website. So, don’t do that! Or, remove that data!
Embedded Content & Links
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Customized Online Advertising
I don’t really use customized online advertising. But, if and when, I do, and you have agreed to that (this option is in the newsletter signup form and can be changed using the preferences option in the bottom of the newsletter/email I send to you), I may use your email address to help better target ads on Facebook, Google and/or other social media sites, or to show you ads on these platforms. You can object to the use of your information in this way at any time by updating your profile (that is the easiest way since it give you the control) or by contacting me.
Please note that opting out of customized online advertising doesn’t mean you’ll never see ads for my website, or my books, or for anything else for that matter. Facebook, Google, Twitter, Instagram, and similar platforms can still show you ads of all sorts unless you amend your preferences on those specific sites. I don’t have any control over what social media sites show you so if you object to that, you need to change your preferences within those platforms and/or contact them directly per their separate privacy policies.
- This site collects certain information (cookies, emails given with consent) in order to improve the site, and better understand how effective the content is, as well as to advertise certain products (mostly books, but not all books).
- Your privacy is important to me, and it will always be the most important consideration when I use your information. I won’t share your data other than described herein. Not ever.
- I will only use your information with your explicit consent. (Like if you sign up for my newsletter, as an example.)
- Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
- If you have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. (Note: if the comment has been deleted from the site it may not be available through me any longer since the comment itself would not be on the site, any longer.) You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
- You can provide or withdraw your consent at any time, or ask that your information be erased, by contacting me. You can message me on social media–see links on this site–or responding directly to one of the newsletters I send to you.
- The only times I will use your information without your consent is if I have a legal or contractual obligation to do so.
Once again, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact me. Thanks for stopping by!